Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent Calendar - December 11: Other Traditions

This post is part of a series for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories. See all my posts in this series.

Whoops! I didn't realise this topic was coming, and already wrote about Yule for a grab bag topic. So, since I've already told you what Yule is, now I'll talk a bit about how the traditions are mixed in my household.

This only really applies to this coming holiday season, since a young adult living with her parents has little to no control over how holidays are celebrated in the house. Now that I live with Jonathon, I can fully celebrate Yule, while he celebrates a secular Christmas.

As I mentioned in my post about Yule, Christmas and Yule share a lot of symbolism and traditions, so there isn't really a lot of clashing of our celebrations. We open presents on Christmas morning, not Yule, because we were both raised that way and I have no desire to change that. I think I'll probably always be happy celebrating a sort of Yule and Christmas mixed together as one holiday. You can see my holiday shining through in the pentagrams hanging on the tree, and the books of Winter Solstice stories lying around the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment